Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Things Really Do Happen for a Reason

I never thought I would ever say this but...thank goodness we are still living in the man den!!!

Tuesday: We were finally able to really get into the house and do some cleaning. Brian suggested that we take it slow and do a little bit every day after work and let the house keep airing out. So we did some deep cleaning in the kitchen/dining room and then headed back to the man den for the night. We could have moved back into the house that night, but it was a good thing we didn't.
As we were eating dinner, I mentioned to Brian that I was having trouble flushing the toilet earlier that day so he took a look, flushed it a few times and it appeared to be clogged...then I looked in the shower and saw water and TP coming out of the drain! So at 9:30 PM Brian dug up the cover to the septic tank and peeked inside and there was water up to the lid. Since neither of us has ever looked into a septic tank we assumed it was full. We called a 24 hr company and after asking Brian a few questions the guy told Brian it wasn't full and where he would probably find a clog. 15 more minutes of digging, a very long stick, Brian dry heaving, me laughing my ass off and the problem was fixed!

As we were getting ready for bed it dawned on both of us that if we hadn't been living out in the man den it would have taken much longer for us to figure out that we had a issue with the septic tank! Then I realized that we had been having flushing issues in the house for months so this problem had been building for a while and the entire man den, not just the shower could have been flooded before we even knew anything was wrong.

Did I mention how much I love living in the man den?

Side note: I'm guessing it is pretty rare for a company to help people for free when they could come out on an emergency call and make $300-400 for 30 minutes of work. So if you have septic issues call Apex they rock!

1 comment:

  1. WTG Brian and Apex!

    Holy crap, I'm so glad you guys were able to solve it. How much bleach did you use cleaning that shower out?

    ReplyDelete