Monday, January 18, 2010

The Name Game

The name game started not long after we found out I was pregnant. I started scoured the web looking for names until I was cross-eyed. Soon we had compiled a list of both boy and girl names...ironically mostly girl names.

I think we were both subconsciously worried about having a girl. Brian mentioned needing to train the dogs to stand inside the front door snarling and growling at any boy waiting to take our future daughter out on a date. I'm pretty sure he pictured himself sitting behind the dogs cleaning his rifles. Then his worst nightmare was realized this fall at a PHS football game. The cheerleaders were dancing and grinding their way across the field in shorty shorts when the five year old pee-wee cheerleaders came out onto the field with tiny pom poms and cheer skirts to join them. Wide-eyed Brian turned to me and said. "How do we make sure our daughter never wants to be a cheerleader?" My biggest worry...not knowing how to french braid.

After the ultrasound tech eloquently announced. "We have a winkie!" We went back to searching for names, this time focusing on boy names. Finding that perfect name is a surprisingly nerve-racking process. My criteria for a name was simple: something that was spelled normally, easy to pronounce and unique enough so he wouldn't have the same name as another classmate. Brian's criteria was a bit different but just as important: does the name rhyme with anything dirty or would his initials stand for something embarrassing?

Finally, we had enough names to start trying them out and debating our favorites. I would like a name but Brian would veto it because he had a terrible coach or went to school with an A-hole with the same name. As a teacher it is also pretty difficult to find a name that does not remind you of a former student...bless their little hearts! I even came up with some joke names, but Brian wouldn't even let me mess with his Dad and Grandpa and tell them we were going to name him Barrack. After much searching and Brian liberally using his veto power we finally decided on the perfect name.

Parker David

After we decided on the name I looked up the meaning. Parker means "keeper of the forest", Brian was pretty excited about that one! The middle name comes from Brian's side of the family. Brian's Dad's name is David and Brian's middle name is also David.

So there you have it, we finally have a name! Now we just have to figure out how to convince Parker that skinny jeans are only for girls and its cool to always wear head to toe protective gear!

3 comments:

  1. I love his name!!!! Congrats. Boy names are SOOOO hard to come up with! Hudson was literally the only thing we agreed on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's PERFECT Amers!

    I wish I had seen Brian's face when the cheerleaders came on the field. I don't suppose you got that on video?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a friend with a little boy named Parker and he is sooo adorable. Just like I know your little Parker is going to be. I can not wait to meet him. :)

    ReplyDelete