Monday, May 16, 2011

Mostly Homemade Monday

Frugal By Choice Cheap By Necessity Mostly Homemade Monday Postings:
Parker loves his black beans! But after months of simply tossing beans on his highchair tray, I decided to change things up a bit and use these burgers as a way to add some extra veggies.

Black Bean Burgers (inspired by this recipe)

2 cups black beans (super easy to make your own black beans in the crock-pot. I usually make 5-8 cups and freeze the extras) or 1 can black beans (FYI pretty much all cans are lined w/ BPA)
1 1/2 cups quinoa
1 medium carrot grated
1/2 bell pepper finely diced (I used red, it's sweeter and it was also what I happened to have)
1/2 onion (didn't have one so I used a few tablespoons of dried)
2 eggs
2ish tablespoons salsa
I also added 1/2 cup cooked sweet potato

Mash black beans with fork. Add remaining ingredients and stir until combined. Texture should be sticky, similar to meatloaf. Heat skillet on medium and add a few tablespoons of your favorite oil. For uniform patties, scoop into skillet using 1/2 c. measuring cup or eyeball it like I did. Flatten to desired thickness with spatula and cook 3-5 minutes per side. Gently place on bun or eat sans bun with a bit of salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment